Wednesday, July 13, 2011

We Found Out!

It's probably the second question everyone asks when they realize that you are pregnant.  After asking "When are you due?" they ask "Are you finding out?" 
My first two pregnancies I have endured the eye-rolling, gasping and complaining over our decision NOT to find out.  I actually even had a close family member tell me that it's "just not as exciting NOT to know".  Wow.  Ouch.  Sorry to ruin this for you. 
We never regretted not finding out with our boys.  Those moments in the delivery room when we discovered that we had sons were absolutely MAGICAL.  We truly met them for the first time in those first minutes.  Not having wrapped our heads around who they might be until that first, precious moment.  Magical.

This time....we did it different. 

Our dear friend Linda was our ultrasound technician with both Sam and Ben.  She so gracefully held the secret of our babies' sex for us and we just loved having her in that experience with us.  She has since retired but we wanted so badly to share this moment with her again and she had expressed that if we were going to find out this time she'd love to come in and do the grand reveal for us!  So of course we asked her. 

All four of us walked in today with the expectation of another Judy boy.  There really is no other way in any of our minds.  In fact this morning as I was preparing the boys for what the appointment would look like and what things Linda would be looking for they both started chanting, "Penis! Penis! Penis!"  Welcome to my life.  Anyway, almost everyone else has predicted girl.  So we kind of planned on proving everyone wrong today. 



It didn't work out that way. 

Jonathan and I were both shocked.  In all honesty we kept thinking that as the exam went on...there would be a penis.  But no.  No penis for this Judy baby. 

The boys?  Sam's first words when Linda said, "You're going to have a sister!" were..."This is horrible news."  Not a joke.  He was spitting angry.  We burst out laughing and then of course he was angry that we were laughing at him.  Ben came around a lot quicker and promised to teach her how to hold a baseball bat.  That's my little peace maker there.  

Most importantly, everything looked perfect.  Her heart, her spine, her kidneys, her limbs...everything.  We are so thankful. 

As the shock has worn off for Jonathan and me...we are very excited.  It hasn't taken long tonight for the boys either.  Sam admitted that he was more disappointed that he was wrong than that he is going to have a sister.  The kid is honest.

So now I get to purge some baby boy clothes and prepare for a daughter!  That still sounds really foreign!

7 comments:

  1. so excited for you to have another healthy baby!And a daughter,how special is that.A little girl with the worlds best brothers to love on her forever! Was it a magic moment to find out during the pregnancy?Im sure it was such a wonderful day at the Judy house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We totally thought we would have another boy, too. It took me a few days to wrap my head around having a girl -- but lemme tell ya -- I LOVE my girl (of course). I love getting to raise both a boy and a girl and to experience the innate differences between the two. Your little girl is so blessed to have two amazing older brothers, a dedicated father, and a strong mother. She will be your best friend someday. I love you, and I love her already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, love it! Congrats beck, you'll be a wonderful mom to a daughter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my texts to you I was all jokes and expletives but now I am just crying

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Congrats! My aunt didn't get a girl until #5, hehe. Can't wait to hear if you notice significant differences between raising a boy and a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations again! I wasn't sure your were going public until I saw the tease on FB!! How is Sam today and has the pink started invading your house? You are all an incredible family and I loved seeing the 3 boys... You are a wonderful mom and I look forward to more of the Judy adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so happy for you!! You're gonna LOVE having a girl!

    ReplyDelete