Saturday, February 5, 2011

I Hike to Impress the Guys

...three guys in particular.  I enjoy hiking.  I love being outside in the fresh air.  I love getting a decent workout just by having fun.  I love seeing things I haven't seen before.  But mostly because all three of my guys are exactly who God created them to be when they are hiking.  It's not an exaggeration. 


Jonathan is the one who really introduced me to this recreational experience.  I hadn't really hiked prior to meeting him but some of our best dates and memories have been on a trail.  It's time to breathe together, time to talk, time to process before we answer questions and time to learn about each other.  My dear groom learned early into our marriage that my "fear" of snakes results in more than just a little squeal and a skip away from the evil thing and rather full-on hysterics and sobbing for the next hour or so, followed by nightmares for a number of nights after the event.  Had he not learned this crucial fact about me on a hike...he may have thought it funny to play a wee trick on me someday which would have absolutely, no question resulted in his own death.  So the love of hiking has served us well in our marriage as well as our personal well being!
The same is true for our boys.  Now, we are not a Chuck E. Cheese, Charlie Safari or Arcade family.  Absolute chaos confined between four walls does not set this momma up for success.  In fact, even an innocent children's birthday party can lead me to a corner practicing breathing excercises and finding my happy place.  Funny thing: the same is true for my firstborn.  Too many people, too much noise and too much food sends Sam to a quiet place inside of himself that means, "Let's just get out of here while we are still ahead". 

Therefore, a trail is our favorite place to be as a family.  All of the benefits that Jonathan and I enjoy on a hike together are true for the four of us as well. We get to breathe.  We get to talk.  We get to take time to listen and to work on our answers to some really wonderful questions!  We learn so much about what our boys are wondering and guessing on their own.  Amazing things come out of their little mouths.  And we get to witness and share their absolute love for Creation. 

There is another effect on Sam and Ben that we love to witness.  When we are on a hike...THEY ADORE EACH OTHER.  They are always on the same team.  They think everything the other one does is brilliant and hilarious.  They want to help each other have a tremendous experience.  We don't totally understand it.  But we really don't care.  We just revel in it!


The trail is our happy place.

This being said, anything truly wonderful in life has it's complications.  I do not enjoy adventures in which I have no idea what to expect.  I want to know a few things:  How long will this adventure take?  Will there be snow?  Why is the trail called "Rattlesnake Ridge"?  We have had our share of obstacles, disappointments and failed expectations. 

There is a very helpful book by Joan Burton titled Best Hikes with Kids: Western Washington & the Cascades.  It gives us all the information I'm wondering, including pictures.  I could just stick to this book and do what it says every time we go.  Like I said, I want to know what to expect.  Jonathan however is more of a trail blazer and likes to discover great things on his own.  Sometimes in places that make me a little bit unsure. 

When we find ourselves in these situations, I go through some scenarios in my head. 
(1) We wander up on a mother bear...I let Ginger, our 14 year old Golden Retriever off of her leash to protect us... That doesn't work...I tell the guys to run while I offer up my own generous body fat to satisfy the bear while my family begins their new life with out their matriarch. 
(2) We happen upon a family of rattle snakes...I use my most authoritative voice to snap the boys into total obedience while we slowly back away...I cry myself to sleep for the following two months.
(3) We mistakenly follow a faint path that leads us to a group of crazy-naked-mountain-men drinking moonshine and playing banjos... I have to stop there. 

So we love our hikes, I have a terrifying inner dialogue battling me every single time, and as you can imagine we have memorable moments each time we go.  I hope to share some of our adventures as well as what to expect from specific locations...from a mom's perspective. 

I'd also love to hear about hikes in the Northwest that you've taken your family on! 

4 comments:

  1. Your list of possible scenarios is hilarious! Ha ha ha ha! Thank you for a peek inside your life and your hikes -- and your twisted mind! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, You are such a fantastic writer! I have to say I feel better knowing that I am not the only person in this world that has the same reaction to snakes!!!! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys have been drawn to hiking, but Ella does not like it. I had to convince her that we were visiting a princess tower when we went to the firelook out below. On the way down I asked her what she thought and she responded: "It was more of a boy tower."

    Heybrook Lookout: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/heybrook-lookout/

    ReplyDelete